Countdown to Eternity!

Monday, January 26, 2009

How It Went

I promised that I would give more details, so here it is....I knew it was coming. We had decided a couple weeks ago that we were going to get married. I had told him in the past that I didn't want to know when he talked to my dad about it, before or after. I think he was just so relieved about it all, so he told me. Haha. I was okay with that, just because he is so incredibly excited about it all, and that makes me happy.
First, I have to tell you how he let his mom know we had decided to get married. Months and months before Kyle even met me, his mom came to him and said, "Kyle, the walls are talking to me." No, she is not crazy, I promise. What she meant was that there is an empty wall that she wants to put a family portrait on. The walls were "telling" her that Kyle needed to get engaged or married in the few months following that so that the portrait would not fall out of date for a while. He laughed and said he would work on that. (The time frame has passed since then. He's not marrying me because the walls said so.) So, we made a sign with a picture of us that said "The wall has spoken. Kyle and Amber. June 5, 2009." He put it up before he went to bed Friday night (the Friday before he proposed) and she woke him up screaming "I heard the wall! I heard the wall!," at 5AM Saturday. Haha! I thought that was pretty cute that he would tell them that way.
I also knew that he was going to ask me the night that he did. I'm just too smart for my own good. He told me that he was taking Tuesday night off of work. Now why else would he do that? It was a good thing, though, so that I was able to get all pretty for the day. :)
He came over to pick me up after I got home from work. After chatting with my family for a while, he asked if I wanted to go get some dinner. Usually he asks where I want to eat, but this time he got in the car and drove. I was proud of him for planning things out. LOL. He took me to eat at Chili's, which is also where we went to dinner on our first date. It was fun to reminise, as well as discuss and look forward to our future.
After dinner we went miniature golfing. He didn't realize it, but that is one of the things we did on our first full Saturday together. He just remembered it as a date he enjoyed. I was trying to figure out the whole time when he was going to drop to his knee and propose. I joke that I thought he was going to put the ring in the hole to find when I went to get my golf ball. Haha!
After that, he said that we were going to go to his house to watch "The Princess Bride." Not only is that my favorite movie, it is the movie we watched right before our first kiss. Can anyone sense a theme here? :) As we were walking in, he said he had just gotten a text from his sister saying their mom was saying the walls are talking again. I just laughed, and apparently totally missed my clue. We went inside and he had a dozen red roses for me by the TV. It took me a second to realize that he was going to be asking me right then. I started freaking out. I wanted to cry, I tried to cry, the tear came right behind my eyes, but would not come out. It was painful. He pulled a sign down off the wall to have me read. He was so nervous, however, that I did not have time to see what it said. All of a sudden he was down on one knee and holding my hand. I could not look at him, so I was looking the other way. Haha. "Amber?" he said. "Uh-huh?" I said looking the other way. "Will you marry me, Amber?" he said. "Yes!" I said, still looking the other way. Haha! He stood up, gave me a hug and kiss. I cried, some of the tears had finally forced their way out. He took my hand and slipped the ring on my finger. I had not seen it up to this point. It was so beautiful! Not like any I had ever seen! That's what I love about it. It's so unique. More so, I love that it means that I get to keep him. Keep him forever!
After that, I made my calls. I called my grandma, then my grandparents, then Andy, Summer, Holly, etc. I waited to talk to my parents until we went home, just because they knew it was going to be happening that night. I sent out a text with a picture of the ring. More texts came back in, more calls came back in and out. Kyle was so patient. I love him! Yay! I get to marry him! Anyway, it was a fun night. Memorable.
As for the future details. We are getting married on Friday, June 5, 2009 in the Draper Temple. That is actually the only detail that we really know. It's the best one though! :) At least that is what I think. So, yep. If you can't tell, life is good, I'm as happy as can be!

2 comments:

Becky said...

Thanks for the story! I have been waiting to hear all about it! I am so happy for both of you.

Amy said...

I saw your blog on facebook - and then I read it, I hope I'm not prying....but CONGRATULATIONS (again). That is so sweet, and I'm so excited for you! I love the talking walls thing, that is adorable.

Biography.com Born on This Day